What is a Qualified Donee?
A qualified donee is an organization that can issue official tax receipts for gifts they receive from individuals and corporations.
A registered charity can make gifts/grants only to other qualified donees.
Who are Qualified Donees?
Qualified Donees are:
- a registered charity (including a registered national arts service organization)
- a registered municipal or public body performing a function of government in Canada
- a registered Canadian municipality
- a registered housing corporation resident in Canada constituted exclusively to provide low-cost housing for the aged
- a registered Canadian amateur athletic association
How to find a Qualified Donee
If you are not a qualified donee, you will need to secure a fiscal sponsorship with an organization who is a qualified donee. If you are successful in a grant, we send the grant cheque to your fiscal sponsor who then distributes the funds as your grant progresses. A great tip is approaching an organization who has similar values and missions to your Not For Profit.
Watch our video on Obtaining a Fiscal Sponsor
Download the Fiscal Sponsor Agreement
Download the Fiscal Sponsor Information Package
Visit the CRA website